Thursday, July 17, 2014

Real Teens of 2014: Wallflower

[Real Teens of 2014 is a blog series with interviews of middle and high schoolers. Interview questions are chosen by the interviewee from a list, and answers are presented unedited.]


Code name: Wallflower

Favorite book: The Giver by Lois Lowry

Who do you most admire and why?

There are two people I currently admire, Misha Collins and Bo Burnham. I admire both because they use their status in society to make a difference in the world, whether it is directly or indirectly. For example, Misha, who plays Castiel in Supernatural, tries to get his "minions" or his fans to make random acts of kindness and slowly change the world. In addition, there's Bo, a musical comedian, who compose songs that calls out social issues other artists are afraid to speak out against. He is able to make his songs entertaining and funny which makes it more difficult for some people to truly get his message because they don't try to understand his lyrics, they just listen for the beat.

What's one thing you wish everyone in the world understood?

It is okay to be different. Our differences is what allows us to thrive as a whole. One's weakness is another's strength. If everyone in the world could understand this, we would probably have a better world.

Describe an "average" teen. How are you different?

Honestly, I don't think I'm in the position to describe the "average" teenager. I don't think anyone is. My average is guaranteed to be different from someone else's average. However, I do like this question because I have always felt different from the average teen. In my opinion, the average teen has a plethora of friends, some that they don't even like. They go to parties/ hangout on weekends. They skip classes, try drugs, and smoke. Basically, they are extroverted people and desire the company of others. That is where I differ from them, I would describe myself as an introvert. I don't mind the company of others, if I like them, but I also don't wish for it, most of the time. I am fine with being alone and just thinking. I prefer the dark with music playing, that's where my peace is.

What's the best gift you have given or received?

My friend Kalyn, got me Bo Burnham's book Egghead for my birthday this year because it's the only thing I really wanted this year. She visited multiple bookstores to find it and I think that's extremely sweet. The book itself is FANTASTIC, it's not only filled with funny poems but there are profound and thought provoking poems there too. I couldn't have asked for a better birthday present.

*

Great stuff! Thanks so much, Wallflower!