Monday, January 5, 2015

New Years Reso--Who Cares? Let's Eat Ice Cream

[Insert comment about resolutions rarely ever amounting to anything.]

[Insert comment about doing them anyway.]

Now that we've got all that out of the way...

Happy New Year!

This year I resolve to eat ice cream every day of the year.

Oh wait. Oops. I've already failed that one. But only by, like, a day. And only because I'd already brushed my teeth that night and didn't want to brush them again.

So I suppose I need a new resolution. Maybe I should resolve to dye my hair or paint the bathroom. Except that would mean actually doing something, and it's much easier to keep a resolution that one is already accomplishing quite handily.

Very well, then. Instead I will resolve not to use the word "edgy" in any sense other than to mean a) "nervous" or b) "sharp-edged."

This is mostly (fine, entirely) because "edgy" was my least favorite word of 2014. Everyone kept talking about wanting "edgy" books with "edgy" characters... which as far as I could tell meant either "dark" or "sardonic."

And why exactly can't rainbows and butterflies be edgy? I mean, aside from the obvious fact that they have no sharp edges at all...

Well, even if I don't have any good resolutions for this year, I do have some solid goals. I'm going to start a new book. I'll attend a conference (or two). And I'll hopefully be launching some new side projects if all goes well.

Anyone else have any goals or not-so-serious resolutions for the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment